The easiest way for me to buy local all year is to subscribe to a local farm CSA – community supported agriculture. My first share was in the summer of 2007 and I split it with my grandmother. It was right after the first Farm to Table Conference and she thought our message was hilarious – buy food from local farms and prepare it at home. What else would you do, right?
Subscribe to a Winter CSA and expect the following:
- More cooking at home!
- Save money on local, real foods
- Get to know the local food landscape
- Get to know your farmer better
- Put more dollars in your farmer’s pocket
- Eat seasonal
A CSA share would make a great gift for that special someone in your life!! Check out this list of Winter CSAs in Western Pennsylvania! Go to their websites to see their offerings – including veggies, meat, dairy, eggs, milk, grains, honey, maple syrup, etc.
- Clarion River Organics
- Kern Farms
- Northwest PA Growers Association
- Old Time Farm
- Penn’s Corner Farm Alliance
Come see us at these upcoming events!
- December 3 – Local Food Matchup
- December 6 – All-Clad Sale VIP Preview
- December 11 – Farm to Table Happy Hour to benefit PA Women’s Ag Network
- March 1 – 10 – 13th Annual Farm to Table Buy Fresh Buy Local Conference at the Pittsburgh Home & Garden Show!
Director, Farm to Table