Give the Gift of a CSA this Holiday Season!
Looking for a unique gift for that hard to buy for person in your life? Buy them the gift of a CSA while supporting local farms. Your recipient will receive the freshest produce, meats and other locally produced items. CSAs helps keep smaller farms in business allowing them to give back to their community. We are lucky to live in a place that can provide nutritious, locally grown food. Buying farm fresh products and preparing them at home is a healthy alternative to eating preservatives. The key to eating local is to make a commitment to eat seasonally.
What is a CSA?
In a CSA (Consumer Supported Agriculture), customers pay for “shares” and receive a percentage of the products harvested from local farms. “Shares” are available from farms and farm cooperatives throughout Western PA. Customers pick a designated site such a home, business or church for pick up. CSAs have gained popularity over the years and farms have responded by offering a variety of options:
• Weekly, bi-weekly or monthly shares
• Small and large shares
• Organic or Certified Naturally Grown
• Dietary concerns such as vegan or gluten-free shares
• Customized orders
• Paying weekly or “as you order”
• Share! – Share a “share” with a friend or family member
• Drop! – Pick a drop site convenient to your home or work
• Farms may add a site if there is a minimum of 10 – 15 customers
• Cook! – Use fresh ingredients each week to make meals at home
• Many CSAs provide recipes that incorporate that week’s harvest