Our friends at Grow Pittsburgh have many exciting events coming up!
Markets and Farm Stands:
- Youth Market in Homewood (7139 Frankstown Ave.) Wednesday, 7/2 (and each Wednesday through August 1st from 3-5:30pm)
- Shiloh Farm farm stand (corner of Homewood Ave & Thomas Blvd, Pittsburgh 15208)Thursdays (each week 3:00-6:00pm)
- Braddock Farms farm stand Saturdays (each week 10:00am – 2:00pm)
- 7/11: Medicinal Herb Walk
With Michelle Soto, Cutting Root Farm & Apothecary Join certified Herbalist Michelle Soto to learn about medicinal plants at Shiloh Farm. Explore the different medicinal benefits to different herbs and wild edibles! Learn how to use herbs and plants for tinctures and salves.
- 7/14: Ceramic Fermentation Crock Making
Are you looking for a way to ferment some of your garden bounty? Join artist Miriam Griffin to make your very own water-lock fermentation crock out of clay! In this three hour workshop, you’ll hand-build your own crock, lid and have a chance to decorate the surface. No experience necessary!
- 7/23: How to grow and care for your own chef’s herb garden
Come and learn how to grow herbs like a professional chef! Learn how to grow and care for your home herb garden that will take your culinary dishes to the next level. Participants will learn about seeding and cultivating herbs, in both in-ground beds and containers! Workshop includes a tour of Churchview Farm, an herb seedling to take home, and parking.
- 7/27: Fermentation basics
Almost any vegetable can be fermented! Fermenting fresh produce is a great way to have great nutritious food all year round. Come and learn safe fermenting techniques and discover new recipes.
- 8/29: Garden Get Down at Grist House
Join Grow Pittsburgh for a Garden Get Down celebrating 10 years of our Community Garden Program! Since 2010, we’ve supported 100 gardens, engaging over 2,000 individuals as they’ve grown over 300,000 pounds of food. Your ticket to Garden Get Down will help continue this vital work for years to come. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit the event website.