Our friends at the Penn State Cooperative Extension office just announced this class for learning whether running a small farm is the right choice for you.
Learn what running a farm or ag business entails at this 3-session course that takes place in the Energy Innovation Center, at the Penn State Center in Pittsburgh.
More details: Read below or Visit this link to register
Exploring the Small Farm Dream Course Description
Is starting an agricultural business right for you? Whether your vision includes making goat cheese, selling cut flowers, or growing rare tomato varieties, this course will give you the tools to start making that dream come true.
Participants will discuss current opportunities in small-scale agriculture, explore objectives, assess personal and financial resources, conduct preliminary market research, and develop an action plan for pursuing their interests in food and farming. If you are thinking about starting a farm, this course is designed for you.
This includes people thinking about full-time farming, farming part-time while continuing other employment, changing careers to start a farm, and/or developing an informal farming pastime into a more serious business activity.
What to expect
- Creative class discussions and research and that will help you assess your skills and resources
- Opportunities to connect with a local farm business owner and others interested in new farm enterprises
- Qualified instructors and peer farm entrepreneurs to teach and share agricultural business experience
- The class is $125 per person or $200 for two farm business partners
- Fee includes Exploring the Small Farm Dream, a workbook developed by the New England Small Farm Institute and course materials.
- Tuesday, May 3, 2016 (6 pm to 9 pm) Session I: Self-Assessment and Researching the Farming Landscape
- Tuesday, May 10, 2016 (6 pm to 9 pm) Session II: Assessing Resource and Risk
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016 (6 pm to 9pm) Session III: Decision-Making and Next Steps
Penn State Center Pittsburgh
Energy Innovation Center – Suite A
1435 Bedford Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Registration: Visit http://extension.psu.edu/business/farm/events to register. Deadline to register is April 24, 2016.