FOOD & AGRICULTURE INNOVATION LAB
We’re now providing exciting new services for food businesses and professionals through the Food and Agriculture Innovation Lab.
CRAFT is dedicated to helping local farmers, food businesses, and entrepreneurs with business and product development services and informative classes in order to create market-ready products for today’s consumers.
Inquire today for more information about services and applicable fees. All fees are assessed on a sliding-scale basis.
- Business and Marketing Plan assistance
- Go-to-Market Strategy creation
- Local ingredient sourcing and research
- Focus groups
- Product Development pre-planning and research
- Branding assistance
- Nutrition labeling compliance assistance
- HACCP Plan generation
- ServSafe Certification classes
MORE ABOUT THE LAB
The Food and Agriculture Lab, made possible by generous funding from the Richard King Mellon Foundation, provides assistance for small to mid-sized food entrepreneurs to help them increase capacity, produce meaningful products, and thrive in the regional food economy.
The Food and Agriculture Innovation Lab is ideal for many different types of entrepreneurs and food business professionals including:
- Early-stage business owners who need specialized help with business plan generation, market research or other business startup services.
- Entrepreneurs that need assistance in developing their product or service before entering a business incubator or commercial kitchen space.
- Existing food businesses that are ready to take the products to the next level with focus groups, local ingredient procurement assistance or an innovative go to market strategy.
- Chefs, managers, and other foodservice professionals looking for ServSafe certifications, workshops, and continuing education credits to stay at the top of their game.
MAKER IN RESIDENCE PROGRAM
We are also accepting applications for a new Maker in Residence program at Chatham’s Eden Hall campus in Gibsonia, PA.
The Maker in Residence will work primarily out of the Food and Agriculture Innovation Lab and will share expertise in many topics, including but not limited to: product development, food preservation, curriculum development, fermentation, recipe development, branding, agricultural practices, culinary production, and baking. This residency program allows culinary and agriculture professionals to use their unique skills to explore and innovate, while also sharing knowledge and expertise with Chatham University students and the greater community.
SPRING OF 2019
The Eden Hall Bread Oven will be constructed and ready for use! Once constructed, the oven will act as a gathering space for Chatham University students and staff, community members, and entrepreneurs. The oven will be utilized for research, product development, business development, education, and to celebrate the heritage and future of our region’s resilient grain system. The oven is being built by apprentices and masons from the Trade Institute of Pittsburgh.
FALL OF 2019
Our 1,856 square-foot commercial kitchen will be completed in the fall of 2019 allowing us ample space for demonstrations, workshops, and additional services including product development and product testing, recipe development, menu development, and additional educational workshops and trainings.
Are you a small business in need of assistance in any of the areas above? Curious about how we can help your business grow and thrive? Contact us today at CRAFT@chatham.edu to learn more.